Bricklin Heat

To: "<"<bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Bricklin Heat
From: peabodydc@prodigy.net
Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2001 10:49:52 -0500
Last summer I experimented with how to keep the
engine heat at the lowest level. I have the usual
things (ground scoop ect.) I also tried running the
radiator WITHOUT a thermostat. I DIDN'T remove the
engine thermostat, just the coolant-flow thermostat.
(found at the top of the water pump) This way the
water is at maximum flow at all times.

As I understand it, the thermostat is mostly
beneficial if your running in winter because it gets
the engine warmed-up quicker (heater core).

I still get an accurate engine temperature reading on
the gauge, so it hasn't been an issue of missing the
true temp. Just to be sure, I placed a thermometer on
the engine block and drove for an hour. The two temps
(temp gauge & thermometer) were within 3-4 degrees of
each other I'm guessing this is due to mechanical vs.
mercury thermostat.

It worked for me and thought I'd pass it along.

P.S. Maximum temp reached was 250 (standing at idle)
after driving for an hour on the highway in August.
Outside temp as about 70.

///
///