Re:

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:
From: "Steve Owens" <go2toa@hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Oct 2001 02:42:18 +0000
I think the majority of auto enthusiasts would prefer you not send your
original engine away.  It's a big paperweight then, to be sure, but keeping
the car/engine together in case 'some day' someone wants to restore it to
original configuration is a good ideal*.  Besides, there are no AMC junkies
clamoring for the '74 360 because it can't breath as heavy as a 71-72
401--hence the low resell value.  I don't know what your swap would entail
but if that 700R4 has an overdrive gear, I'd love to hear what top speed you
see after you're done.  If you just want the transmission, I know an outfit
in TX that rebuilds these transmissions and makes adapters for AMC 360s.

* With no specific mfr # on AMC engines to correlate to the body, I think
the "correct" engine is any AMC 360 with a rebuild date in 1974, preceding
your vehicle's build date.  If someone were desperate 10 years from now to
make your car "correct" though you couldn't give the guy the (true) original
engine, they could hunt for a '74 360 within a certain time period, and (I
believe) judges would not be able to discern that it is not original.
That's what I heard, anyway.