Re: Other Gullwing Doors

To: kthompson@totalaccess.net, bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Other Gullwing Doors
From: Amazinrick@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jun 2001 14:34:50 EDT
> >     With all the problems associated with B doors, I have to ask what did
> > the Mercedes 300SL use, and also the following DeLorean? Where they as
> > troublesome?

Well, I see nobody has mentioned much of the Mercedes yet.  They had very
simple doors and were very light since they didn't even have roll-down
windows (they popped out).  Part of the De Lorean dilemma was
counterbalancing the 70 pound doors!  The torsion bars were cryogenically
twisted, and act as a spring to lift the door most of the way.  Really, they
shouldn't hardly ever need to be adjusted.  (Plus, if you don't know how to
do it you could kill yourself...)  Anyway, the gas struts work great...
especially if the weather is dry and sunny.  (Sometimes the cold isn't real
kind to them.)  Anyway, they work really well and I think it's a clever
system.  I'm still waiting to see a Bricklin (close-up) in person some day!
I live in South Jersey/Philadelphia area, so hopefully I'll catch one of you
local people sometime...

Rich
DMC-12 VIN....11174

///