email trailer

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: email trailer
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 01 May 2001 18:17:38 -0400
I received an email to day asking me about the "email trailer".  I'm sure
others have the same questions, so I sending my reply to the entire
group.

I must applaud the fellow for asking the question.  There is NO such
thing as a dumb question!

---------

>At the risk of sounding like I'm not an expert at this stuff ...
>please explain what the following means at the bottom of each
>message sent to all from "Bricklin@autox.team.net" mailing list
>that says ... "Edit your reply!  If they included this trailer,
>they will not be sent".  I don't understand what this means or
>how I can remove the "trailer".  Please explain.

Sure no problem.  Some of this you can blame on Micro Soft.
With so many people using Windows 95 98 NT etc and Outlook
(express) many of the mail system are getting clobered.

backround:
If you are using MS Outlook (express), when you reply to
an mail, it copies the entire email into the new post you
are getting ready to write.

Ok, that seems reasonable, so where's the problem?

Well, you should edit the original email, and only keep
enough of the original to jog the memory of the sender.
In other words, only keep a line or 2 from each paragraph,
or 1 paragraph from a page, etc.

So many "newbies" don't understand, and just hit the buttons.
It's not their fault, no one has told them how to use the
various applications, of which email is just one.

The end result is that you post a question. I reply to your
original question and include the orig. question.  No Bob,
comments on my comments,  So now the message is your, mine and his.
This goes on several time per each piece of email.

So now the piece of email is very very long with only the
1st couple of lines having any meaning.  This is costing
the hosts of the various mail servers lot and lots of
storage, and also bandwidth.  We are having to transmit
several thousand characters of text for 1 or 2 lines.

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

The answer:
To stop this, the person responsible for "autox.team.net"
has put the trailer on all outgoing messages.  These are
the lines at the bottom of email from the Bricklin mailing
list that start with the ///.  You MUST delete these
lines when you reply to an email.  Again, when you reply
to and email, remember the orignal post gets copied into
your reply.  You need to scann down to the bottom and find
the "trailer".

If the mailing list software sees an incoming email that
has the trailer, it will discard the incoming email.

I hope this answers your question.  If not, or you have
any other questions, feel free to ask.

///
///