shocking B, just one more opinion: the good, the bad, and the

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: shocking B, just one more opinion: the good, the bad, and the
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:59:47 -0500
As a former design engineer, I love seeing stuff like this.

Front end:  Nice bumper and hood, I just hope those holes don't just pass
through, but the headlights are anemic looking for such a massive nose.

Mid body:  The ground effects are ok, but I would have to see up close,
especially behind the front tire.  Mirrors. well, 6 of 1 and all that.  The
vinyl top is just a product of some kind of disorder, not sure which, or a
very odd sense of humor.    The interior looks much better than OEM, the
seats and the black trim (inside) works better than jeep seats and brown
primer of the OEM.  Why they ever used that brown defies explanation.  Even
some of the brochures seem to show black door jambs.  Hey, the little assist
struts are missing too.

Rear: here's where the designer lost control.  Not sure what's going on just
behind the door, but it appears way overindulgent and a result of the fun
with fiberglass seminar.  The Lamborginiesque  rear quarter styling is
completely bogus since the car is not a rear/mid engine and even fake
cooling scoops look twice as stupid.   While the rear could be widened, this
is not a great approach to do so.   Besides that, rear visibility just went
completely out the missing window in a car already hindsight challenged.  A
rear spoiler?  I suspect it's really a launching station for a lifeboat.
This AND rear louvers,  talk about overkill.

The tires are yet another crusher, far too small and far too wide
interrupting whatever flow the car still had.

Custom designs often lack control, and this is a perfect example.  There is
little balance and continuity in the design, and far too many exaggerated
lines.  The front, sans the headlights, was well done.  The interior, though
flashy for some, is still cohesive, at least from here.   But the rear is
completely, contrary to the smooth, almost seamless front end.

As Rick has alluded to, control in design is the name of the game.   To make
a custom re-design look like it "belongs" is an illusive but paramount
objective.  Too much conflict may catch the eye, but only temporarily.  This
car's in a major war.

Just IMHO,

stephan #2821

///