Re: Help - Roof and heater

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Help - Roof and heater
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 05:35:54 -0500
> Can I please get some help. Last summer I purchased Bricklin (vin2809).
> There is some stress cracks in the roof and I was wondering how to fix
them
> properly.
The "proper"  way to fix the cracks is to replace the roof panel with a NOS
acrylic panel, however these panels are somewhat expensive and sometimes
(almost always) very difficult to find in the proper color. An accepted
method is to dig out the area of the cracks and fill with a fiberglass
stranded filler ( I found one from Germany called ALSI that is great) sand
and paint the roof, starting  with the appropriate water based primer.

Also, the air circulation in the car is really
> poor. I've been told that there was a modification where you remove the
dash
> and change the location of the heating unit. Can anyone also give me an
idea
> where I can get some information on getting better air circulation in the
> car.

This is a much discussed matter. the easiest method I have seen for
improvement is to remove the big foam seal (if it is still intact) between
the two heater components and seal them together with a urethane roof patch
material. The misalignment of the boxes is the same on every AMC car and
they don't seem to have a problem. I have the opinion that the car need an
air outlet to allow air out of the car to improve flow, something along the
lines of GM's astro ventilation that they used in early Corvettes. I haven't
yet found an appropriate way to do this as it must be in a low pressure area
that will never be subject to exhaust fumes as well as being pleasing to the
eye or virtually undetectable with out altering the acrylic panels.

///
///