Re: rearend gears

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: rearend gears
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2001 18:03:05 -0500
At 02:09 PM 3/11/01 -0600, Ryan Rodgers wrote:

>   On a leat model 75 does anyone know what gears are in the rear axle, what
>car they are from? Mine are starting to grind a little, If its possible I'm
>going to make it a posi.   Anyone know?

Ryan,

  From the parts xref list on our web page:

Rear End - Ratio - 3.15:1
   AMC V8 (stamping # 3212478 8V on one from 887)  AMC has 2 rear
   ends, the 6 cylinder has 10 bolts holding the end cap on,  the
   V8 uses 12 bolts.  6 cyl. axles and hubs are not interchangeable.
   (Note: If you can get a 6 cyl. rear end, can be pressed into
   service if you are gentle on the gas.)

   (From Thomas M. Benvie - The Bricklin rear-end is the same as any 8 cyl
   Rambler American (66-69), 8 cyl Hornet (70-77) 8 cyl Gremlin (72-76)
   8 cyl Concord (78-9) and 8 cyl Spirit (79).

   The six cyl rear-ends will fit, but they are not heavy duty and will not
   last.  Most of the above named cars did not come with a posi. However,
   most Javelin/AMXs did, as well as Matador/Ambassador/Rebel.  The center
   section of these cars are the same as the other ones.  Rebel/Matador/
   Ambassador used coil springs, and have much wider axles.  Javelin/AMX
   look the same, but are a few inches wider, again due to longer axles.
   There is an add in the AMX club for a rear disc brake kit to convert
   these axles if anyone is interested.

   The Torque Links on the rear axle is from 72-74 Gremlin only.  If
   the bushings are worn, they can be replaced by an AMX supplier.
   AMC came out with a rear sway bar in 1979 for the above mentioned
   cars.  Can also be found on any of the Eagle bodied AMCs.  Bolts
   right on, and does improve handling.

If you read the faq on the web page, one of drivability mods is to replace
the AMC rear end with a Ford 9".  You can get rear wheel disk brakes and
positraction out of the change.

///
///