Re: door alignment

To: "Mike DeLuca" <mdeluca@comtechpst.com>
Subject: Re: door alignment
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2001 15:22:52 -0500
At 11:27 AM 2/9/01 -0500, Mike DeLuca wrote:

>The diver side door is really not aligned very well on my car (org
>hydraulics BTW)
>Can anyone give me info on what is involved in realigning the door.
>It looks like it would not be a small job but I would love to start getting
>info on how I would tackle something like this.

Mike,

  This is one of the problems with Hydrolics.  The hydrolics will always push
the door out of alignment.  To start aligining:

  1. Does you door have any cracks in the metal shell where it goes from
     vertical to horizontal, on the rear part of the door?  If it does then
     you will need to pull the skin, and have the reinforcement plate welded
     in.  Besure to do that ON THE CAR.  You have to have the door roughly
     in the correct shape BEFORE you weld the plate on, or you SOL.

  2. Assuming that is not a problem, there a are 2 basic adjustments:
     a. Where the hinge bolts to the roof panel will give you front to
        back adjustablity.
     b. Where the hinge bolts to the top of the door will give you in and
        out adjustablilty.

  3. When restoing the car, start with the door fit.  Once that is the best,
     then you mount the rear quarter panel.  You may have to shim it out some
     to get a nice line with the door.  Then the front fender can be adjustd
     up or down, front to back for a better alignment on the front edge of
     the door.

Sounds simple, right!  It is a real pain in the A##.  It will take several
hours of work to just hang the doors correctly.

2 other quick notes:
a. Make sure that your hinges are flat and not bent.
b. Make sure that they are on the same plane and now schewed when looking
   at them from the end when they are mounted.

Most people end up sending their cars to either Terry or Bob to have the
doors rehabed.  There are several mods to up grade the doors.

1. reinforce the rear door metal, where it goes from vert. to horizontal.
2. reinforce the window regulator.
3. remove the mirror brace from the window frame, relocate to the door skin.

Then the cars will need new inner and outer door seals.

Hope this helps.

///
///