Re: new owner posting

To: mdeluca@comtechpst.com, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: new owner posting
From: "K M" <symbiotic@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 02:00:09
>Well I have been mostly a lurker for almost two years.
>I have been searching for the right Bricklin for over year and a half.
>Back just before Christmas I became the proud owner of
>White, all original 1557. It has been in storage most of her life and only
>has
>3714 original miles on her, thats right less then Four thousand miles.
>Let me update that, I took her around the block for the first time tonight
>so I put about two
>more miles on her. This car has the original tires on it, original window
>sticker and some nice documentation. I had it flat bedded home. Drained out
>the gas soaked each cylinder with a bit of marvel mystery oil, oil change
>and let it sit over night. I put in some fresh gas and poured some gas in
>the carburetor and after about almost 10 year hibernation (in a garage) she
>started right up (try that with a fuel injected car). I have been too busy
>to really get to play with my new toy and I will need to replace the brake
>master, I want to pull the radiator and have it cleaned and tested, and
>probably will replace the water pump. I understand that a good choice is
>the
>Flow Kooler 1650 any recommendations on that?
>Now some questions.
>What is the coolant capacity of a 75 Brick?
>How many qts of oil does it take, I put in 5 but it looks like it can take
>more?
>I would like to replace the alternator and was told use a 75 Granada
>alternator with the higher output of about 60 amps (they sell one at pep
>boys with a lifetime warrantee) is there a better choice? Because the car
>is
>all original except for the new battery I want to keep the car correct if I
>can.

As John said, it depends on what you want to do with the car. I have a car
(71 hemi charger) other than my Bricklin that I show at judged shows. The
judges looks for properly dated things, not replaced things.  This includes
stuff like spark plug wires, voltage regulators, master cylinders, water
pumps, etc., etc.  I don't know if Bricklin judges are quite that
discerning, but beware that if you switch the air in the tires you might
lose points.  Oh, I should explain that with most things, like the
alternator, we would have the original rebuilt, rather than replaced.  But I
just spent 150 dollars for properly date coded plug wires -- it can quickly
get expensive.  John also covered the horn thing -- I need to fix mine
again, third time this month. Kim