Re: Newbie Info

To: jblair@exis.net, Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Newbie Info
From: "Phil Martin" <pmartin_vacation@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 16:31:41 -0000
>From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
>To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
>Subject: Re: Newbie Info
>Date: Sun, 14 Jan 2001 08:04:54 -0500

> >And what are the general weaknesses to look for when inspecting
> >a potential buy?
>
>2. Rust - the entire chassis and all metal reinforcement plates.

I just want to expand a wee bit on what John's said here.  When you're
looking for chassis rust, look particularly hard at the chassis.  The
chassis has a perimeter section around the passenger compartment, then front
and rear subframes that extend off of that.

Look very carefully where the front and rear subframes attach to that main
perimeter section - on my car, the back was so bad that when the body was
removed, you could just grab the back bumper and move it up and down almost
a foot.

So get under it and look hard, especially if you're in a climate that's
rust-promoting...

Good luck,
--
Phil Martin
"It ain't no sin to be glad you're alive"