Re: more ???

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Subject: Re: more ???
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Fri, 29 Dec 2000 14:24:52 -0500
----- Original Message -----
From: John T. Blair <jblair@exis.net>
To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Sent: Friday, December 29, 2000 12:40 PM
Subject: more ???

> I don't know if I'm being too anal or not.  But, coming down the A pillar,
of
> the bird cage, there are 3 holes, about 3/16" dia. (I didn't measure
them).
> I believe they are there to pop rivit the A pillar skin to.
>
> My question is how to mark the skin to know where to drill the holes so
they
> will align with the ones on the birdgage
John: racers developed a tool long ago to do this so they didn't turn their
car into swiss cheese everytime they have to change a panel. It is available
from most race car supply houses but one can be made by riviting two 1" x 6"
long strips of sheet metal together at one end so that they are one on top
of each other.  Then drill a hole thruogh both of them at the other end.
Weld a pointy 3/16 piece  to the bottom piece so it sticks out the bottom.
Now when you have the a pillar positioned slip the end of the tool with the
point under  the panel and stick the point in the hole. The other piece of
the tool with the hole should now be on top of the panel and the hole in it
lines up with the hole in the a pillar. I hope I explaned this well enough,
the tool is really a slick way to go. If you can't understand these
directions let me know and I will try to find an online source where one is
pictured so you can see it.
> Another question, I'm wondering what the fit gap is between the door and
the
> body.  Especially around the top opening.  I've been trying just to center
> the door in this area, but I don't know if that is really possible.  I
haven't
> been able to move the door aft enough to center it.  I'm thinking about

I am working with about 3/16 around mine (with the skin on) but don't know
if that is too tight for the shaking that goes on when driving down the
road. I am assuming you are trying to center the frame without the skin on.
If you are,  just remember you can 'cheat ' the skin a little in the bonding
process as well as the A pillars if they're not on yet. One question, Do you
have ALL the weather stripping on yet? If not this is only a preliminary fit
as it will change once the pressure from the rubber moves everything. One
thing that is important is that the gap along the quarter panel at the rear
of the door is even all the way, this means the door is 'straight' in
relation to the quarter and not cocked in one direction. It takes a fair
amount of time to fuss with the door fit and it will change a bit as the
door  rubbers take a 'set' after being open and closed a bunch of times, so
take your time and leave it alone for a while if you have to.
Rick 0539/2028 (and lot of parts)