Re: Greg, mods, heat, and four season Bricklins

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Greg, mods, heat, and four season Bricklins
From: "alphachi" <alphachi@writeme.com>
Date: Wed, 20 Dec 2000 00:39:46 -0500
> I'm surprised yours makes more heat than a stocker.
> It's always been my experience that hotrodding make
> for a more thermally efficient, and slightly cooler
> running motor.
> GM

Well, that's one target behind hotrodding.  But any increase in HP (energy)
will increase heat production.  The idea is to find a way to dissipate all
that extra heat by creating a more efficient means of doing so.     The
small but powerful twin fans in push mode worked fantastically.
stephan

 ====
>   Do NOT remove the gaskets at the hood/cowl
> > line as this then allows fumes into the fresh air
> vents!  This idea is not
> > only poorly conceived, it's downright dangerous!
stephan

> ====
> Well, I did it to mine when it was new to relieve the
> high underhood pressure at speed, and it was one of
> the first things TT mentioned to me to do when I
> first talked to him in '80.
> GM

Yea, this has been one of TT's ideas for some time.   I just think it's a
bad one.  He's also suggested the cutting of side vents, and that has also
been less than successful.  Personally, I think the whole "underhood
pressure" thing is not well grounded.   While I was up in Va with TT we went
over this during the week and TT's argument was less than convincing.
stephan

> I imagine if you sit in a lot of creeping traffic on
> a hot day, there might be an issue, though it never
> was for me here in Hotlanta, or during my frequent
> trips to La./Fla.
> GM

Well, keep in mind that the only thing between the fresh air vents and all
the emissions from a carbuerated motor is the gasket you're removing.  Also
remember that some of these emissions are completely odorless.
Besides, there are other places for these fumes to enter the vehicle
including of all places, the steering column!   I still think it's not a
safe move and not very effective.  Now don't get me wrong here,  I do think
TT has an invaluable knowledge of Bs, but not every one of his brainstorms
is as invaluable.   Air door locks anyone???  Just shoot me.
stephan

> ====
> >     The door leaks are another problem and even
> after TT's install of new
> > seals, adjustments and promises, they still gush
> and the new seals are
> > already deteriorating!
> >     The blower mod TT performed really f'd up my
> vent system since it
> > disconnects the defroster control and screws
> everything up and so not only
> > would I not recommend it, it should be condemned!
stephan

> ====
> Sorry to hear this. You'd think after all these years
> they would have the mods well thought out.
> GM

Tell me about it! It would have been nice if I was told about the vent
changes BEFORE, not after.   TT also tried to drop the vents to aim them
towards the floor for BETTER cooling.  A little knowledge in convection
principles would have dashed that idea right away.

At the
> least, weatherstripping materials are far better now
> than when the car was built.
> GM

Yep, you would think.  My old stripping (circa 1979) was in bettter shape
after 20 years than this stuff is in one!  Go figure.   I guess crappy stuff
will always be crappy stuff, no matter what era.   Talk about disappointing.

stephan #2821