gm power locks

To: "bricklin" <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: gm power locks
From: "High Tech Coatings" <htc@MNSi.Net>
Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2000 05:31:51 -0500
I was turned on to these by Bob Hoffman's so give credit were credit is due.
The gm solenoid I am using came from a 79 Camaro but gm used these solenoids
in everything with power door locks from the elate 70's till now. They are a
rack and pinion affair with an electric motor that powers the rack back and
forth. BEWARE do not attempt to use the small all plastic generic power door
solenoids available everywhere like eBay and car audio stores they are not
powerful enough to open a Bricklin door. There are aftermarket GM style ones
(with a metal can on the motor) that seem to work fine, but most U-Pull type
yards will sell you a used GM one that U take off for about $5( I bought
mine @ a swapmeet for $5 a pair with the plugs). Make sure you get a left
and a right as the solenoids are the same but the bracket is different.
These are usually held on by aluminum rivets which come off real easy with a
hammer and chisel. While in the door be sure to snatch the plug and wire
too, it makes it a lot easier to install. the part # on mine is 3080699.
 The unit is about 6" long overall including the retracted arm, about
1.5"wide and the motor sticks up (metal can) about 1.75" and is about 1.5"
in diameter. The aftermarket  ones may or may not come with brackets but the
GM brackets are not perfect either  and require mild fabrication to fit.
 PS  I have not yet got my pats find back to my shop for a combination of
weather and time (when I have the time Mother nature throws freezing rain or
a blizzard at me) but am planning on picking it up this week and sorting
through my Christmas Vacation, some vacation eh? and should have a rough
list available in the first or second week of January. I don' really know
what I bought except it was a pile of assorted parts in assorted colours and
I could only see the top layer.
Rick 0539/2028