Re: Firing Order for 351W

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Firing Order for 351W
From: "George F. Hamstra" <hostage@ameritech.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jun 2000 18:13:26 -0500
Greetings!
    I know the firing order for the 351W is: 1,3,7,2,6,5,4,8
The question really is, "How are the cylinders numbered?"
I know I could pull the valve covers, set to TDC, etc. etc. to figure
it out, but someone probably knows.  I thought the numbering was:

(Front of car)
1    2
3    4
5    6
7    8
(driver)

I also thought that they could be numbered

(Front of car)
1    5
2    6
3    7
4    8
(driver)

Now the story behind this simple minded question!  8 years ago I took
my Bricklin to American Auto Restorers (at 159th and Bell Rd, Homer
Township, IL)  I made the mistake of paying him for all the work we
outlined to be done in advance, so after he had my money the priority
dropped till my lawyer suggested he finish the project...)  Well, to
make a LONG story short, I recently got the car back.  The body and
paint job look nice but it runs like crap! (33K original miles).  He
added a 650 Holley, aluminum manifold, headers, etc. and now it runs
worse than when he began working on it 8 years ago!  I decided to
check some of his (lack of?) workmanship.  I replaced a fuel pump that
was spraying raw gas on the block, replaced rotten fuel lines, etc.
This had no effect on the backfiring, and lurching under acceleration,
so I decided to see if he could have possibly screwed up the firing
order.  If example #1 above is correct, the current wiring is:
1,3,4,5,6,2,7,8.  If I'm right, I'm lucky its starting, let alone
running.

Later,
    George