74 overheating problems

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: 74 overheating problems
From: Stephen Cramer <philobandb@earthlink.net>
Date: Fri, 27 Aug 1999 10:00:38 -0800
Here in Southern California we deal with 'stop and no go' traffic and
high ambiant temps all of the time.  This is the reason my 74 became a
pleasure driver and not a commuter--although I still drive it almost
daily, it's more for show and pleasure than utility.

Overheating IS a problem with the car in spite of the engine
configuration.  Chasing the heat problem on mine is something I have
done since the beginning.  The first thing was air scoop repair to
improve the airflow--then thermostat change-165°F if I remember
correctly--and a water pump change.  I was the second owner and although
the car was well maintained, water pumps can wear, corrode and rust.  I
could see good flow through the radiator but wanted to maximize it.

I am a heat freak, though, and was not satisfied with the results.  I
wrapped the exhaust manifolds with insulation to lower the engine
compartment temperature--as well as the fuel tank, which was picking up
heat from the exhaust system.  Wrapping the tank was very successful in
lowering the fuel temperature.

I pulled the cowl and fan and replaced it with twin electrics.  I don't
recommend it.  I ended up putting the fan and cowl back on and moving
the two electric fans--thermostatically controlled to come on at
195°F--to the front of the radiator to serve as assists.  This was very
effective as well in slow traffic.

I finally added an engine oil cooler to increase the cooling capacity
further.  These are easy-to-install kits that can be picked up just
about anywhere and it was the frosting on my little piece of cake.

The result is that the car never runs above 220°F even this last week
when the temps locally were 100°F+.  I have a 4 speed in my '74 so I
don't have to worry about the heat from that source.  Running the AC is
an absolute must in this area.

So...I guess the answer is, yes, heat in the "74's can be a problem.