Re: Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Apr 1999 17:31:10 -0500
At 10:41 PM 3/31/99 -0800, you wrote:

>Here is another registration puzzle involving potentially three states.  My
>hope is that some of you folks who seem to be seriously into auto collecting
>and restoration may have faced similar issues and are willing to
>share...Here are the basic facts:
>
>1>  I'm a California resident that has bought a car in New Jersey.  I'm
>fairly certain that it is not currently registered and may not have been for
>a   few years.
>2>  Having it shipped to Tanner in VA for restoration (estimated restoration
>completion time July-Sept.).....

Kevin, have you heard of the President's "Don't ask, Don't tell" policy??

First off, I would demand the title and a bill of sale at the time of
purchase of the car in NJ.  If the car needs restoration, you should
not have paid that much for it.

Next.  Go streight to the DMV in CA. and register the car.  You should
not have to purchase the tags at that time.  I know this is the way it
works in VA.  When I purchased 887, it had a NY title.  I sat on it for
about 5 years before I registered it.  I only registered it so I could
get insurance on it while it is being restored (by me - again, no one
has to know WHO is doing the work).  I pay $25 per yr to insure a car
that can't be driven.  A real deal I think!!

Now when you are ready to get the car from Terry, take your reg. back to
the CA. DMV and get the tags.  Carry the tags on the plane with you, put
them on, and drive the car back to CA.

Now everything is pretty legal, and  you have NOT lied about anything.

Too much knowledge can be a terriable thing.  I usually play it real
stupid when it comes to these things.  I only do this once every 10
years or so.  DMV does it several thousand times a day.  I figure it is
their job.  Let them do it.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi