Another vehicle registration puzzle...

To: <Bricklin@autox.team.net>
Subject: Another vehicle registration puzzle...
From: "Kevin" <kevin_hand@email.msn.com>
Date: Wed, 31 Mar 1999 22:41:19 -0800
Here is another registration puzzle involving potentially three states.  My
hope is that some of you folks who seem to be seriously into auto collecting
and restoration may have faced similar issues and are willing to
share...Here are the basic facts:

1>  I'm a California resident that has bought a car in New Jersey.  I'm
fairly certain that it is not currently registered and may not have been for
a   few years.
2>  Having it shipped to Tanner in VA for restoration (estimated restoration
completion time July-Sept.)
3> Driving it back to California when restoration completed

I've explained my situation to Triple A and get sympathy smiles, shaking
heads, and no real answers as I weave my tale of acquisition and restoration
plans for #462...

Since Triple A was no real help, I tried to call both New Jersey and
Virginia and have yet to speak with a live person after about 15 minutes on
hold with each state...this makes for a damn expensive phone bill!

It seems to me that New Jersey will at the least want some sort of sales tax
when bill of sale and title are presented for change of ownership...If they
are told the car is being shipped out of state for restoration (not
currently running), will they want me to register it there and what about
potential issues for the last 2-4 years it may not have had registration
fees paid?  Once they know the car will not be restored within 30-90
days(estimated completion time 4-6 months depending of shop backlog), will
they require me to register it anyway, especially if the end destination is
another state?

Once the car is in Virginia, assuming NJ has not taken two pounds of flesh
(assuming bureaucratic gluttony), what interest if any will Virginia have
since the car will not be in running order upon arrival, and driven within
their State for a short period of time once it is running?  I'm guessing
they may require some sort of temporary permit???

Assuming I make it all the way to California after a 3,500 mile
cross-country drive (counting on Terry Tanner here!), I get to deal with the
wonderful people in California's Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) beloved
by the residents of California (second only to the IRS!).  Once back in
California, I know I face the dreaded smog test and must pass to register
the car in California, it's new home.  The only good news here is that since
the car will have been purchased by me more than 90 days earlier, California
will not want any sales tax!  YIPPEE!

So, with all of the above information, do any of you out there have ideas
for how this will likely play out?  Any strategies for expediting or
delaying long enough to avoid nasty traps/penalties/pitfalls?

Thanks for your help (and more than sympathy I hope!)...

Kevin Hand