Shop air compressors

To: british-cars@autox.team.net, Spitfires@autox.team.net,
Subject: Shop air compressors
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 21:19:16 -0500
I've had my Craftsman 5hp 30 gal air compressor since about 1990 and
it has servered me fathfully for almost 10 years.  I don't know about
you all, but I simply don't really think about it.  Just go out, turn
it on, and go to work.  Every once in a great while (maybe 2 times a
year) I check the oil.

Well yesterday I was working on my Bricklin, sanding the old glue off
of the trunk pan with a die grinder.  I went in for lunch.  When I came
out, it was making a real funny noise.  I turned it off, and proceeded
to try and figure out how the H3$$ to get the belt gard open.  Believe
it or not, I actually found the manual.  When I did get the belt guard
I found that the belt had come off.  No problem, put it back on, and
light it off again.  Within about 10 sec. it threw the belt again.

So this time I start looking for why.  To make a long story shorter,
the motor is welded to a mounting bracket.  Well all the welds except
one broke and the motor was moving all over the place and throwing the
belt.  Off comes the motor - which took quite a bit of doing - but that's
another story.  I pulled the motor apart to see where the field windings
were in relation to where I'd be welding.  Plenty of clearence.  Break
out the MIG welder and in a few minutes, the motor is reattached to the
mounting bracket.  Reassemble the compressor, and I'm back in business.
Total down time about 2 hrs.

Anyway, the reason for this post, is for all of you like me that don't
really think about your compressor, check the belt tensioner.  Apparently,
mine had loosened up and allowed the motor to really move around.  The
welds on the mounting plate couldn't take the hammering and let go.

Also, after almost 10 years of use I guess it's time to replace the air
intake filter :)  Boy my cars would really rebell if I treated them like
I treat my compressor.   But then again how ofter to you restore a hammer?

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi