Re: Brick problems

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Brick problems
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 1999 19:35:15 -0500
At 01:53 PM 2/16/99 -0500, Jonathan Garruba  wrote:

>My car is falling apart! here is what broke in the first weekand a half of
>drivng it:
>       gas tank sending unit started leaking
>       air compressor broke
>       door system started leaking
>       window regulator broke.
>       odometer stopped
>       horn stopped operating
>
>I cant keep up with everything.

jon

Welcome to the club!!!  Most of these are common problems because so many
Bricklins have SAT someplace for so long.  Relax, enjoy the car.  I hope
this is NOT your primary transportation.  Work on the problems based on
priority (keeping it on the road) and cost.

Based on your list of problems, the 2 I'd start with are the sending unit
leak (that can be dangerious) and the doors (I'd like to be able to get
in and out of the car).

If this is NOT you primary transportation, roll the other window down and
only drive it on nice days :)

You don't say with type of compressor you have.  If it is vaccumn, they can
be rebuilt, and there are some spares floating around.  The easy fix is to
buy an electric compressor if the $$ permits.  Next work on fixing the leaks.
Installing a compressor and tracing the air lines for leaks and replacing
or tightening the connections is only a couple of hours work.

The horn is one of 3 problem, most likely a bad ground.  Possibly a bad
horn relay, finally - a bad contact at the horn button.  Again, to isolate
the problem shouldn't take more than an hour.

>anyone know where the VDO guages came from? what other cars might have
>them?

VDO makes them.  They are a very common aftermarket set of guages.  Many
of the Brick. parts vendors have them.  Also check you local autoelectric
shops.  I know of at least 2 or 3 places locally that sell VDO.

Jon, hope this helps.  Don't let it get you down.  Remember it takes less
mussles to smile than frown.  Look on the bright side:
  1. You are driving your car - I purchased mine in 88 and have never driven
     her.  I have about 1000 hr in the restoration I started in 94.
  2. You own a Bricklin!!!!!  Less than 2000 people can say that!!!!
  3. It could be worse.  You could be like me, and having to replace all
     the metal on the under side: xmission xbrace, all reinforcement plates,
     both sill plates, the front lower have of the front fender wells,
     and all the chassis reinforcement plates.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V

www.team.net/www/morgan        bricklin.shel.olsy-na.com/bi