Re: 4 Speed Auto

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 Speed Auto
From: Parkman Kenneth <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Mon, 01 Feb 1999 15:27:00 -0500
Jamie
    Sorry to be so long in responding.  I'm not sure about prices for
rebuilding or the wide ratio gearset. The cost driver would be parts
availability and finding someone willing to do something slightly
different. I don't know enough about what combinations came in the
727's sold to AMC/Jeep. The 727 was available in Grand Wagoneer's up to
93 and I would think that would be a lock-up transmission, but I don't
know for sure. I think the lock-up and non lock-up transmissions used a
different case, so I believe (don't know) that you would need a lock-up
AMC case. I don't think that they came with the wide ratio gears, but
again I'm not sure. Wide ratio gears for a 904 are very common, and
therefore cheap ($50 - $100), but a few years ago the wide ratio set
for
a 727 through a race transmission dealer was something like $500. They
may be cheaper now. It would actually be easier and cheaper to do a
wide ratio lock-up 904, but that would also involve drive shaft mods
etc.

>    Although the 4spd auto would still be the ultimate way to go.....

Yeah. the more I think about it the better I like the idea. When and if
I get my street Bricklin It would be an awesome improvement, especially
with a 450 hp 401. (definitly have to worry about transmission
durability with that combination)

Ken