Re: 4 Speed Auto

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 4 Speed Auto
From: Parkman Kenneth <Kenneth.Parkman@pwc.ca>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 14:59:14 -0500
 Jamie
     I was at a friends Jeep dealership this weekend and by coincidence
there was an A500 from a 93 to 95 6 cyl Grand Cherokee sitting on the
floor. A quick check showed that the starter ring gear was on the
torque converter (as a dodge is), but other than that the converter
bolt pattern and pilot appeared to be standard. This is good because it
is a simple mater to saw the ring gear welds off, remove the ring gear,
and then everything should bolt up to your unaltered flexplate and
crankshaft pilot on your 360 AMC. This particular A500 was from a 4WD,
as would most Jeeps. However it should be relatively easy to build a
2WD version of this transmission using commonly available V8 dodge
parts. I had a quick talk with my transmission consultant and he
agreed, it should be relatively simple. He did express some concern
over the strength of an A500, but thought it should be OK for street
use behind a 360. This should make such a conversion fairly
straightforward. There would be still several things to check and a
certain amount of fabrication would still be required, and you never
really know all the problems you will encounter until you try it, but I
think it is quite feasible. Good luck if you go for it.

Ken