Members Only....

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Members Only....
From: tbenvie@bu.edu (Thomas Benvie)
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 1998 07:15:01 -0500
Well, I guess I'll give another side of why someone may not join the
Bricklin International.  I am not a member at this time (though I really do
plan on it-I just forget to send in my dues).  You see, I have owned 3
Bricklins in the past, but currently do not own one. And, I don't think
I'll own another in the future.  Nothing against the car, as I wanted one
since I first saw it in the car mags back when they came out.  I went to
Stephen's Pontiac in Brockton, MA a number of times to look at the few they
had in stock as a dealer (And has a master list of Bricklin Dealers ever
been compiled?).  When I finally bought mine (#323) it was a low mile
wreck.I then purchased 2 more wrecks (#889 and #15??).  I fixed all 3 of
them before I sold them, but the day I finished the first one, I lowered
the door, proud as a peacock, and it smashed my head so hard I thought I
broke my neck.  At 6' 4", I just didn't fit comfortably, and to crouch down
meant I couldn't even see the front of the car over the dash. So,the
Bricklins were not feasible for me-and ad to the fact I have 15 AMXs and
Javelins and 4 Reattas, something had to go anyway.

I am on the Bricklin list because I still love everything about the cars
(except the headroom), and as an AMC fan, the cars have an even stronger
attraction.  I have made a few dozen posts in the past year, mainly AMC
related trying to help out people.  If you restrict things, what incentive
is there for people like me, who don't own a Bricklin, but just like the
car and the forum of the web?

I do belong to all the major AMC clubs, and have been the Director of the
New England club for 25 years.  (I'd love to see Bricklins attend our Labor
Day show in the Boston area).  But maybe you need a survey to ask people
why they don't join the Bricklin Club-it might give some insight.

And I'll put a note in my pocket right now to join the club.  Thanks.

Thomas M. Benvie
5 Sachem Rock Ave.
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
(508) 378-1423