Re: Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods

To: Bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Fw: Ball Joints / Tie Rods
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 23 Sep 1998 19:17:59 -0400
At 06:38 AM 9/23/98 -0700, you wrote:

>However, lets not forget that every one of us who has done this many times
>has had to ask "how" the first time!   Obviously, the procedure is perfectly
>safe when proper techniques and equipment are used and no special skills are
>required - just the knowledge of how to go about it correctly.  That
>information is readily available via numerous repair manuals and for those
>possessed of some mechanical skill and general experience in automotive
>mechanics replacement of ball joints and any other component on the Bricklin
>is straightforward.  Although cautionary warnings are essential lets not
>exaggerate the difficulties here and discourage anyone from learning.....

Agreeded.  The big problem here on the mailing list is that we don't
necessarily know anything about the skills or capabilities of the person at
the other end of the wire.  So I'd rather error on the side of caution.

I'm glad to see that this hasn't turn into a real war.  And please fellows
let's not start one.  Both Tom and Greg make valid points.

I've been playing with this stuff for some 30+ years.  And still every once
in a while I get a healthy dose of religon.

1. Several years ago, I stripped a Hornet for part for the Brick.  Had the
   scrap yard come haul the hulk away.  They backed a roll-back up the the
   Hornet and hooked on the wench, lifted the bed of the roll-back and
   started pulling the Hornet onto it.  The 2 rear jackstands were clear so
   I pulled them.  As the driver kept pulling the Hornet up on the bed, I
   could see that one of the front stands was clear.  I removed it and figured
   that the other had to be clear.  So I reached under and pulled the lever
   to release the jackstand.  Down the car came, my hand was stuck under there
   somehow.  When I pulled it out, I expected to see I was missing a few
   fingers.  Why didn't I have my floor jack under there?????

2. The last religous experience was a few months ago, putting new struts in
   my 89 Voyager van.  I was trying to get the spring on the new strut.  It
   decided it wanted to do something else and kicked out.  Luckily, it was
   on the strut when it slipped.

We all do stupid things.  IMHO But other than sticking your hand down in a
running engine, working with the front springs is probably the most dangerous
thing you can work on, on a car.

I think that is all we are really trying to get across.  Yes it can be done
by a hobbiest.  But you will need some special tools and can still get in
trouble very fast.  One of the fellows on the list here broke his hand very
badly doing that job.

I guess the bottom line, is, as you point out, have someone that has done this
before show you how.  For me, I'll show him how, but I don't know if I want
to tell him how, unless I know his skill level.

I usually am willing to tell anyone almost anything I know.  But that usually
is in an eye to eye discussion.  I am also constantly reminded of both safety
and the legal climate of our times.  I used to work on other peoples cars,
now I'll show them.  They are going to turn a wrench on the job, because I
don't want to get sued!  (Been there - done that - but then that's a story
for a different day.)

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V