RE: Catastrophic failure on 618

To: "Olson, Scott" <scottolson@cascon.com>
Subject: RE: Catastrophic failure on 618
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Apr 1998 22:12:45 -0400
At 09:01 PM 4/5/98 -0500, Olson, Scott wrote:

>Another question.  When I purchased the car it had an electric fuel
>pump.  After a few hours of use, the new looking fuel pump died.  I
>purchased a new electric fuel pump a few weeks ago, and after a combined
>use of about three hours, it has now died.  Could there be blockage in
>the fuel line?  The car ran fine for the three hours that it did so.  It
>isn't the power because the car turns over nicely.  The fuel pump just
>stopped making noise and died.  Are Electric Fuel pumps supposed to make
>noise?

Scott,

  Electric pumps usually make some noise.  The pumps for the older
carburated engines don't make as much noise as the new pumps for the
fuel injected cars.  The reason is that the carb.ed cars only require
about 4 to 6 lbs of pressure while the fuel injected car require about
60lbs of pressure.

  I don't know why you are having a failure after 3 hours.  Where is
you pump located, in the eng. compartment?  If so and you want to try
it one more time, try relocating it to the back of the car near the
tank.  It's possible that the heat in the eng. compartment is causing
the pump to fail.  By mounting it back, in front of the tank, it might
stay cooler and last longer.

>Does anyone strongly recommend going back to the mechanical fuel
>pump?

Not really.  If you car sits for relative long periods of time (a week
or more) without being run, I'd really suggest that you DO use an
electric pump.  Then nice thing about them is that they will charge
the fuel lines and fill the carb float bowl with out having to crank
the eng.  Consiquently, starting the car becomes a lot easier.  Simply
turn the ign. on and listen to the pump.  After a short time 5 sec to
20 sec. it should shut off indicating that the system is fully charged.

              48 TR1800    65 Morgan 4/4 Series V