DeLorean and Bricklin Mods and Springs

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: DeLorean and Bricklin Mods and Springs
From: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Date: Wed, 01 Oct 1997 11:45:01 -0500
Re the DeLorean doors:  John may be right.  I do recall something about
torsion bars.  However, I don't believe they were as substantial as the
Bricklin doors.  John is right about the engine, a V6 mid-engine
Renault, Pugeot,Volvo unit that has been used by all three
manufacturers.  They share the common block and add different heads for
specific applications.  In fact I believe I had the same powerplant at
2.8 liters in a Renault station wagon I used while living in Europe.

Re Bricklin Mods:  Johnn is right, most of this is speculation.  I am
still in the planning stage so I cannot add any real experience to the
discussion yet.  But that is what we need.  My current preoccupation is
getting my hands on a 401 in good condition so I can start work on that
part of the project.

Re the springs,  having springs made for a specific application is
straight forward and relatively inexpensive.  Here, in Michigan, there
are several speciality spring fabricators.  What we need is the bar
stock thickness, the uncompressed spring height, the spring diameter and
the spring rate.  With that information, which can be determined from a
"fresh" '75 spring, you can have as many made as you want or alter the
spring rate and height to suit your desires.  Does anyone have a virgin
'75 spring they can take measurements off of?  The rate part is the
hardest.  You need to compress the spring a known amount and measure the
force required to obtain the deflection.  In fixed rate springs this is
easy ( relatively) in variable rate springs you need to compress the
spring at several pionts through the range of travel to get the change
in rate.  You can usually tell if a spring is variable rate by
inspection, because the coils will be differently spaced along the
length with uncompressed.

George