Rubber Body Mounts Unproductive?

Subject: Rubber Body Mounts Unproductive?
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 1997 19:11:46 -0400
Hi everybody.

I've been doing some thinking about the stiffness of the
Bricklin's chassis (which I've been told is less than adequate,
and looking at it I don't have a hard time believing that).

The chassis is almost all in one plane, which would explain
why it tends to flex torsionally and longitudinally, although
laterally it should be OK.  The birdcage and the rest of
the body should help this somewhat, and I'm assuming that
they're intended to, but the rubber pucks between the body
and the frame make me wonder if they can actually help.

If the chassis wants to flex, and the rubber between it and
the (supposedly supportive) body/birdcage is allowed to
deform, how can the b/b exert a force to prevent that
flexing?

I'm a long way from putting the body back on the frame,
but I'm wondering if it would make sense to replace the rubber
mounts with something solid (or at least, more solid than
rubber).  I've been thinking that it might be a good move
to go with some kind of solid mounts, and extend the
birdcage into more of a roll cage by welding in some struts
from the rear bulkhead of the cage to two of the mounting
bolts in the rear cargo area.

Am I right in being worried about chassis flex?  I am planning
on having a custom frame built, so I might be able to improve
on stock somewhat, but I don't want to go _too_ wild when it's
other people's time and my money ;)  It is my intention to
build the 351 to maybe twice the factory's 175hp, and to
go with poly bushings in the suspension, so that frame's
going to see greater stress than a bone-stock car's would.
(BTW - a brace across the front shock towers is already on
the to-do list)

Has anyone tried replacing the rubber with something stiffer?
It seems like NVH might be increased, but look at all of the
unibody cars where the body and frame are a single integrated
unit - transmission of vibration into the cockpit doesn't seem
to be a concern or a problem there...

Interested in any thoughts,
--
Phil Martin                     pmartin@isgtec.com
"I think I'm dumb"     - Kurt Cobain,  'Dumb'