Re: Paint and Acrylic Removal

To: "S.G.Schiro" <gschiro@qsky.com>
Subject: Re: Paint and Acrylic Removal
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 04 Jun 1997 17:54:12 -0400
At 10:24 AM 6/4/97 -0500, you wrote:

>As I plan to remove the cracked and crazed acrylic on VIN 678 that had
>been painted over (black), I began experimenting with removal methods.
>Using paint stripper and fine steel wool, I removed a small section of
>paint and acrylic.  What I saw was a layer of paint, a layer of primer,
>a layer of acylic ( white ) and finally a base of light brown
>fiberglass.  Does the brown fiberglass sound corect?  Obviously, this
>approach will take too long for the whole car but may be useful for
>certain areas.

George,

   That light brown is the fiberglass.  If you can get under you car,
take a scrub brush and some soapy water and clean the bottom of the trunk
area of the back of the seat (if you can find a place that there isn't
any metal).  You'll see that the "natural" color is a very light brown
or tan.

John

John T. Blair  WA4OHZ          email:  jblair@nhr.com

     75 Bricklin SV1   77 Spitfire