Re: 74 Standard Brick

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 74 Standard Brick
From: Ron Auger <ron.auger@isc-br.isc-br.com>
Date: Fri, 25 Apr 97 09:12 EDT
At 09:35 PM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>At 09:21 PM 4/23/97 -0400, you wrote:
>
>>DO you have any info on a remote control kit for the air-doors? (remove
>>control that activates the doors from upto feet away via a small rf
>>transmitter similar to a car alarm activator...)
>>Can you help??
>
>KTT
>
>  No, I don't.  However, I've heard of them before.  I think I've seen them
>advertised in JC Whitney.
>
>  Anybody else got any info on them or have one installed?
>
>John

I'm not sure how the electronics of the air system works, but I have
interfaced my Alpine 8080 alarm to my hydraulic doors. Yes, that's right. I
did say hydraulic doors (Terry doesn't read any of this, does he?!).

The hydraulic doors are more complicated than the air system I imagine would
be. The hydraulic doors need constant high current for the duration of the
door travel and need limit sensing to cut off the power. I replaced the
original pump/reservior with two new pump/reservior units that I got from a
company called Hypac. They look exactly like the original except they have a
release valve that returns fluid to the reservior when the door reaches its
limit.  I used a power window add-on module for alarm systems called
Twindows from MicroElectronics. These modules "hold" the switch for me with
a trigger from the alarm brain (via the remote) OR a tap on the existing
switches. The Twindow "sees" the drop in voltage when the door reaches fully
closed and cuts the power. For the door open limit I had to fabricate a
limit switch to trip a relay which tripr the Twindow off.

I did all of this before I knew of the club or the air doors. I did it as an
engineering challange so the doors can be safely operated without
overdriving them or burning out the pump (the doors can now be run in
oposite directions simultaneously).

I know this probably doesn't help too much. The air door system probably has
it's own issues, but I'm sure it can be done safely. If you're not
comfortable designing an interface yourself, I suggest you go to a reputable
car audio/alarm store that is known for their custom installs. They will be
prepared to handle the quirks that come up in a custom job like that.

Hope this helps

                                                Ron Auger
                                                Staff Software Engineer
(V-mail)   800-338-0775                         203-882-4373 (office)
(E-mail)   ron.auger@mail.spk.olivetti.com      203-783-1520 (fax)
(C-mail)   Ron Auger CMLA                       800-516-2597 (bpr)

"Eschew  Obfuscation"