Re: Suspension mods/replacement suggestions?

To: bricklin@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Suspension mods/replacement suggestions?
From: JISBELLJR@mail.utexas.edu (Jim Isbell)
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 1997 12:10:49 -0600 (CST)
>I'm thinking about replacing the stock rear suspension with an
>independent setup out of a Vette from the same era,

I would use the IRS from a Jag.  Its much better.

>Since I'm having a frame built anyhow, it seems to me that if I
>do want to make these kinds of drastic changes, this is the time
>to do it.

Make sure you build a spreader, preferably adjustable for the top of the
shock towers.  If you dont the camber will change in the corners.

>Of course, I don't know what kind of performance mods can be made
>to the stock front suspension - can I get things like lowering coils,
>polyurethane or teflon bushings, tubular control arms, etc. for it?
>Is there an easier replacement for the steering box to improve
>response?  If so, let me know.  I don't have my heart set on getting
>rid of the AMC front suspension, but I would like a well-handling,
>responsive car when I'm done to make this project feel really
>worthwhile.

You can add a 1" sway bar, stiffer springs from a 75 Brick, urethane
bushings and it will handle like a dream.  Also, get rid of the orriginal
wheels and bias ply tires and put radials on it.  The original wheels are
prety, but not as strong as they could be.

>As for the rear, I have a hard time imagining there's anything
>that you can do with a live rear axle hung across leaf springs.

First remove the torsion bars, they were an abomination and incorrectly
designed, then add a 1" ADDCO sway bar (requires some mods on the frame),
then add a leaf to each side to stiften the springs.

>My daily driver is an 88 RX-7, and I've become quite accustomed to
>a car that's nimble, responsive, can deal with rough roads, and
>rock-solid above 130 mph ;)  I realize that might be a tall order
>for a 22 year old car, but I'm interested in doing almost anything
>I can do to close the gap.

Since you are not racing it, as I do, I would think the mods I have
mentioned should be all you would need.

BTW, the Jag IRS wont be any more expensive than the Vette IRS except that
with two shocks on each side they will cost more.($50-60 each times four)

         JIM I.

"Life is tough.  Its tougher if you're stupid"  J.Wayne

1970 XKE 2+2
1974 Bricklin
1978 Roberts 44' steel ketch, "Millennium Falcon"
         "Its the ship that made the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs."
Han Solo
1979 Lola T540 Formula Atlantic
1985 XJS
1985 XJ6