Hi everybody

Subject: Hi everybody
From: Phil Martin <pmartin@isgtec.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 1997 17:21:33 -0500
Hi there.  I'm new to this list (and fairly new to the Bricklin
world), so I just thought I'd post a hello and introduce myself
and my car.

My name is Phil, I'm a researcher at a medical imaging software
company, and I bought my (first ?) Bricklin about 6 months ago.

I've had an interest in cars for as long as I can remember, and
my past projects include a '74 Challenger with a 318, and a '74
Dodge Dart that I shoehorned a 400 B-block into.

I'd never heard of the SV-1 before, so it really caught my eye when
I was driving past a used car lot about 2 miles from my new place.
I stopped and checked it out - it was _extremely_ beat, but it looked
interesting so I decided to come back when the owner was around.

In the meantime, I did a bit of research on the net and started
learning about the car.  I went back to talk to the owner of the
lot, and he wanted $3500 for this car that looked like it had
been saved from the crusher about 10 seconds too late.  Too bad,
coulda been fun to restore...

Then, driving back to my house from this lot, I notice the back
of a very interesting looking car way at the back.  It looked like
another SV-1, but I thought my eyes were fooling me since I had
my heart set on buying the first car.  Still, I was curious, so
I pulled in and it _was_ another SV-1, this one in much better
shape, and the owner only wanted $2000 for it.  He had a hard time
selling it, so it sat and sat while I saved up and a few months
later I picked it up.

What are the odds of finding 2 SV-1's within a couple of miles of
my house, both at junky gravel lots with a trailer for an office,
out at the very edge of where a small town becomes farm country?

Anyhow, my uncle (a mechanic for many years) and I are restoring
it in the heated 3-bay shop at his house.  The body/birdcage are
stripped and off the frame, which is being stripped bare in
preparation for some serious repairs.

So, that's about all there is to say right now, except that I'm
really glad to have found out about this list, and John T. Blair's
parts & suppliers lists off the Bricklin home page - I'm sure
they'll come in _mighty_ handy when the time comes to start putting
this pig back together.

Looking forward to learning lots,

Phil.