bmcu

Re: [Bmcu] Seat Upholstery

To: <rob@mufuga.com>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Seat Upholstery
From: "Grant Clayton" <gclayton@chcpat.com>
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2013 21:23:09 -0700
Cc: bmcu@autox.team.net

--===============1003188585==

--=__Part4170EEBD.0__=

Rob,
=20
Since I think that you are facing the same decision I faced a number of =
years ago, I'll relate you my experience in case it helps.
=20
=20
I'll report that the black vinyl upholstery now in my 74 TR-6 was =
purchased as a kit from Roadster Factory in the mid 1990s.  I installed =
the kit on the passenger seat and it took me so much time that I decided =
to hire out installing the driver seat to my regular mechanic at the time, =
Roy Beale (may he rest in peace) since he was repairing a number of needed =
items on my Six at the time.   Roy recommended that since I wanted to keep =
the car authentic that I should install vinyl, rather than leather, since =
leather was not an available option from the factory on the TR-6 (I never =
checked on Roy's advice).  Even with all the time I took on the passenger =
seat, I got only an adequate installation and the driver seat looks better =
when you examine the details.  My conclusion was that there is art =
involved in good upholstery gained only via experience and following =
instructions in a kit is not a good choice for me.
=20
=20
For over two decades, I've been taking nearly all of my vehicle upholstery =
tasks to (unless I gave the task to Roy when he was alive) to:
=20
=20
Mont Robbins
Upholstery West
245 West 8600 South
Midvale, Utah  84047
(801) 561-7011
=20
=20
I know that other club members have had good experiences with other =
upholstery shops but Mont has always done well for me and been fair to me =
and is conveniently located since I live in east Sandy.   I hope this =
information is helpful to you.
=20
=20
Grant
=20
=20
Grant R. Clayton
Registered Patent Attorney
Clayton, Howarth & Cannon, P.C.
Adjunct Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering
University of Utah=20
Email: gclayton@chcpat.com=20
Telephone: (801) 255-5335
Facsimile: (801) 255-5338
=20

>>> "Rob Page" <rob@mufuga.com> 12 January, 2013, Saturday 8:48 PM >>>
Hi all. I am looking to re-do the seats in my 71 GT6. What is the best =
option? Should I get covers and install them myself or go with a profession=
al and get new ones made? Anyone have an idea on what would be better and =
more cost effective? I would like to go with black leather if possible. Is =
there a good quality kit available anywhere or does anyone know someone =
who does this kind of thing. Thanks in advance! ___________________________=
____________________________
http://www.doteasy.com

--=__Part4170EEBD.0__=

<HTML><HEAD>
<META content=3D"text/html; charset=3Dutf-8" http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<META name=3DGENERATOR content=3D"MSHTML 9.00.8112.16457"></HEAD>
<BODY style=3D"MARGIN: 4px 4px 1px; FONT: 10pt Tahoma">
<DIV>Rob,</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Since I think that you are facing the same decision I faced a number =
of years ago, I'll relate you my experience in case it helps.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I'll report that the black vinyl upholstery now in my 74 TR-6 was =
purchased as a kit from Roadster Factory in the mid 1990s.&nbsp; I =
installed the kit on the passenger seat and it took me so much time that I =
decided to hire out installing the driver seat to my regular mechanic at =
the time, Roy Beale (may he rest in peace) since he was repairing a number =
of needed items on my Six at the time.&nbsp;&nbsp; Roy recommended that =
since I wanted to keep the car authentic that I should install vinyl, =
rather than leather, since leather was not an available option from the =
factory on the TR-6 (I never checked on Roy's advice).&nbsp; Even with all =
the time I took on the passenger seat, I got&nbsp;only an adequate =
installation and the driver seat looks better when you examine the =
details.&nbsp; My conclusion was that there is art involved in good =
upholstery gained only&nbsp;via experience and following instructions in a =
kit is not a good choice for me.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>For over&nbsp;two decades, I've been taking nearly all of my vehicle =
upholstery tasks to (unless I gave the task to Roy when he was alive) =
to:</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Mont Robbins</DIV>
<DIV>Upholstery West</DIV>
<DIV>245 West 8600 South</DIV>
<DIV>Midvale, Utah &nbsp;84047</DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>(801) 561-7011</DIV></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>I know that other club members have had good experiences with other =
upholstery shops but Mont has always done well for me and been fair to me =
and is conveniently located since I live in east Sandy.&nbsp;&nbsp; I hope =
this information is helpful to you.</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Grant</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>Grant R. Clayton<BR>Registered Patent Attorney<BR>Clayton, Howarth =
&amp; Cannon, P.C.<BR>Adjunct Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering=
<BR>University of Utah <BR>Email: <A href=3D"mailto:gclayton@chcpat.com";>gc=
layton@chcpat.com</A> <BR>Telephone: (801) 255-5335<BR>Facsimile: (801) =
255-5338<BR></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><BR><BR>&gt;&gt;&gt; "Rob Page" &lt;rob@mufuga.com&gt; 12 January, =
2013, Saturday 8:48 PM &gt;&gt;&gt;<BR>Hi all. I am looking to re-do the =
______<BR \>Unlimited Disk, Data Transfer, PHP/MySQL Domain Hosting<BR =
\><A href=3D"http://www.doteasy.com";>http://www.doteasy.com</A></DIV></BODY=
></HTML>

--=__Part4170EEBD.0__=--