bmcu

[Bmcu] directions for run

To: BMCU <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: [Bmcu] directions for run
From: Eugene Jaroch <bughous@msn.com>
Date: Sat, 26 Mar 2011 15:59:37 -0700
Memorial Day Run 2011

Bound for Torrey Capitol Reef National Park, here we come!  Paul Jaroch
(bughous@msn.com) is the tour master for this event.  Roger Davis is
alternate.  If my MGB is still not ready Ill be in the Black Mariah and have
room for some people and bags should you wish.

Saturday, May 28th

8:00 am: Northerners will meet in the east side of the southeast parking lot
of the South Towne Mall where we historically assemble for the Alpine Loop.
Lets plan to head south on I-15 at 8:30.

9:30ish am: Southerners will meet Northerners at the first major brand gas
station (memory says Chevron) on the north side of Hwy 6 at the off-ramp in
Spanish Fork for Hwy 6 & 89 to Price.  Please let Paul know in advance if you
intend to join the tour in Spanish Fork.

10:00ish am: We will head east on Hwy 6 to Hwy 89 south at Thistle and proceed
on 89
to Fairview.  From Fairview we will head east and south on Hwy 31 to
Huntington where we will continue south on Hwy 10 to I-70 where 10 turns into
Hwy 72 toward Loa.  Just east of Loa we will take Hwy 24 to the Howard
Johnsons Hwy 24 east of Torrey.

Lunch will probably be in the Castle Dale area.  Art shops, antique Stores and
wineries along the way are fair game.  If you stop, leave your cars visible so
the rest of us will see you, in case we want to stop, too.   McEligot Rules
will apply (see attached).  Some of us will have slower cars than others.  The
slower ones would appreciate the faster ones occasionally stopping at a
location of interest and waiting for them.  Ill be in the back as usual and
have a hand held CB and hope others along do as well.  One at the head of the
touring group would be wonderful.  I also have a set of GMRS units (walkie
talkies with power).  FCC license needed and I have one.  You can get yours
too online and I would do that.  Nice if someone in the fast group took one of
mine along.  (A nice CB is around $80, a set of GMRS units can be as low as
$40 but note that with a GMRS you can only talk to the other unit in your set,
with a CB youre global.  Theres always cell phones and well address that at
the departure meeting.

In Torrey, the BMCU has a block of 10 rooms being held for us at the Howard
Johnsons for the nights of May 28 and 29 (1-435-425-3866).  No group
confirmation number, just tell Art the manager youre with the British Motor
Club.  Contact the motel ASAP to reserve your room on your own credit card and
receive your own confirmation number.   The room rate is $99.00 plus tax.

Evening refreshments will likely to be available from coolers we bring with
us, and we will decide which of a few decent restaurants to descend upon for
dinner.

El Diablo boasts that it was named Best Restaurant in Southern Utah, and a
dinner there some years ago was indeed excellent.  Its open from 5 to 10 p.m.
seven days a week.

Sunday, May 29th

9:00 am or sooner if everybody is up and about: We can decide where everyone
wishes to go for the day.  There are very scenic 150 to 340-mile round trips
that loop out and back to Torrey.  The loops can involve 25 to 100 miles of
secondary unpaved but maintained roads.  Otherwise there are 60 to 168-mile
one-way trips out and back the way you came on paved roads with access to
historic districts, petroglyphs, great cliffs, domes, natural bridges, and
regional folding of the sedimentary formations.  Check out Capitol Reef
National Park on the Internet.

If anyone would prefer a low-mileage-driving-day, there are a number of
interesting shops in Torrey.

The Torrey Gallery offers paintings, sculpture and photography by Utah
artists, plus antique and contemporary Navajo rugs and will open by
appointment on Sunday.

Robbers Roost Bookstore & Beverages sells books and gourmet coffee, plus
pottery and other items. It has been featured in Sunset magazine and the New
York Times. Its hours are 1-4 p.m. on Sunday.

Castle Rock Coffee and Candy is open from 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily. Coffee
and pastries are its specialty.

Monday, Memorial Day, May 30th

9:00 am: or sooner if everyone is up and about we will head north on Hwy 24
for home.  Those in a hurry may head up Hwy 50 to Scipio and I-15 on their
own.  Those more prone to the view at MG T-Series speeds are welcome to find
their way through Salina and Hwy 28 north to Nephi, or up Hwy 89 through
Thistle to Spanish Fork, or even further to avoid the freeway.

McEligot Rules

TOUR GUIDELINES FOR FUN, SAFETY AND PEACE-OF-MIND

(no order of priority implied)

o  Select a recognized tour Leader (not necessarily the first car) who
knows and coordinates what is meant to go on, passes the word, etc.

o  With large groups, subdivide into smaller groups of three to five cars
based on performance or attitude or such, each with its own recognized leader
who understands the route, plans, etc.

o  Provide sufficient route details in advance so participants understand
routes, stops, etc.

o  Cell phones, CBs, etc.  Exchange cell phone numbers, call signs, whatever,
with others before departing, particularly with the Leader.  If available,
first and last cars and leader would be the logical ones to have
communications.  There are styles of CB now that can be hand-held. Even the
most complicated antenna/power supply installation won't take more than two
hours to install unless you have a positive ground car.  Across long
distances, the car-to-car chatter can be the best part of the trip.

o  If (intentionally) leaving the group for some reason, coordinate with the
tour leader or others in advance to avoid uncertainties and the waste of
others time/miles.

o  Do not exceed the speed limit -- it gives our sports cars a bad name
(and wears the low displacement engines).

o  Keep the car behind in sight to make sure it is not having problems,
particularly at turns;  slow down as necessary;  stop if necessary.

o  On two-lane roads, leave sufficient space ahead so tractor trailers,
pickups with boats, camping trailers, or RVs can pass and pull in safely.

o  Look behind before pulling back on the road -  and allow plenty of room to
start up on a highway.

o  Do not stand on the roadway during breaks;  people get run over that way.

o  During daylight, flashing ones headlights shall indicate an emergency or
mechanical need to stop, need for restroom, pulling into gas station, etc.  On
two lane roads it is appropriate to have lights turned on continuously for
safety with flashing them serving as an
indication of a problem ---->  Leader's discretion.

o  Do not trust internet route plans  --  that convenient road may be
gravel, dirt, construction or a muddy bog (or non-existent?).  If the route
has not been checked by driving, use good maps.  Possibly contact state
highway department about uncertainties.
Bmcu@autox.team.net
Donate: http://www.team.net/donate.html
Archive: http://www.team.net/archive