bmcu

Re: [Bmcu] Mini Brakes (part's request)

To: Roger Gisseman <RGisseman@slco.org>
Subject: Re: [Bmcu] Mini Brakes (part's request)
From: Dylan Thurston <dylan.thurston@gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Mar 2011 15:45:10 -0600
Apparently the brake pad wore all the way through and the piston has been
running against the rotor directly. I've not looked at it myself yet but my
mechanic said it needs to be replaced. I asked him about rebuilding it and
he recommended against it. If i buy the rotor pads and caliper i feel
confident in doing the work myself. I'm not sure about doing a rebuild or if
that is even possible with the caliper's current condition. My mechanic is
going back out to the car in a few minutes to measure the rotor so i know
which one to buy. I'll check again with him to get more specific on the
problems with the caliper. He was a little surprised about the 200-250 cost
for the replacement caliper so he might suggest a rebuild with that
information. My guess is that the piston has worn down but i don't really
know. I'm probably going to try to drive it home (about a mile) and take a
better look.
-Dylan