bmcu

RE: Sprite/Bugeye rollbar for free

To: "'Andrew Frink'" <andrew@drooartz.com>, <bmcu@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Sprite/Bugeye rollbar for free
From: "Rich and Julie Sanders" <juricube@comcast.net>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2006 10:16:00 -0700
 This is a very kind offer, but you might want to re-think it.

 I owned my first bugeye for two weeks in 1973, prior to swapping the
position of the left front fender for the right rear, 2.5 rotations, before
landing pinned upside down on the road where the whole incident began.
Surprisingly my passenger and I were relatively unharmed sardines when we
finally got out.

In searching the junkyards for a replacement front end over the next year, I
found it almost impossible to find one that didn't have extensive damage to
the top of the hood (the automotive equivalent of shaved eyebrows and head)
from having been driven wheels up along the macadam grinding wheel. A roll
bar was the next item in my then fledgling budget. I never got to it.

Rethink the roll bar. The bugeye is a tricky little car. Though mine was
re-fitted with a 1275cc and Webers, I was only going 50MPH when I dropped my
right front wheel a couple inches down into sand at the apex of a turn. From
that point, it was over. Hey- it's no different than skiing with a helmet.

Safe travels.

Rich Sanders