Tires

To: <joe.weinstein@gmail.com>
Subject: Tires
From: pault151@comcast.net
Date: Tue, 12 Dec 2006 18:26:22 +0000
Joe,
I agree with John, I wasn't aware of more than one excluded tire.
http://www.scca.org/_filelibrary/File/2006_solo_rules.pdf
 plus see FastTrack.
What I did last year was look at the Finals results in Street Touring for tire
choices, at what the winners ran.  The Yokos were more popular this year than
last despite their exorbitant prices, but not dominant; many trophies were
still earned with the Falkens and the others Ed mentioned.  Caveat: Daytime
temperatures were way down at Nationals.  YMMV.
The Ecsta MX's are cheap, not nearly as heat sensitive as the Falkens and
Yokos, but are IMO maybe just half a notch slower; I ran them in 2005 and lost
a place in a tight class in Sacramento compared to the previous year.  The MX's
ARE much more forgiving as a street-use tire due to a significantly easier ride
quality, so if you hate swapping tires and have to survive Berkeley's potholes
they're a good trade-off.

Paul