drain bolt

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: drain bolt
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Tue, 22 Aug 2006 23:08:17 -0700
Peter, Matt:

> From: "Thana, Peter" <peter.thana@roche.com>
> Subject: RE: Jiffy Lube and drain bolts
> Matt,
>
> The tranny drain bolt on the civic is one of those square head deals
> where a 3/8" ratchet without socket fits into it, right?
>
> Sometimes they can be very stubborn if overtightened but the key is to
> get a good "snap" on it.  Try hitting a ratchet you don't care about
> with a hammer to break it loose.

If you lean on a "regular" short ratchet (depends on access) you can
generate way more than 30 lb-ft.  But I'd put a 1/2 to 3/8" adapter on the
torque wrench or a breaker bar, rather than sacrifice a ratchet.

Then Charlie said,

> I like them in that order.  An ATF change isn't that expensive,
especially
> given the suspected overtorque.  If they #%$& it up, and  they were also
the
> last ones to touch it, it sounds like it's their  baby.  If the dealer is
> involved, then it's "who messed up?"  and I  don't think I'd want it all
messed up
> at my place as opposed to theirs.
>
> Jiffy Lube has replaced engines when they forgot to put oil in them, and
> they are famous  in the industry for overtorquing drain plugs.  They  know
that
> they have these liabilities and balance it against all the money they
save
> with low cost labor.  But you might have to press for it, if you find
that
> they've messed up.  Don't hesitate to keep going higher in the
organization to get
> what you want.
>
> Charlie

I like that approach.  A friend got a new V6 in his Nissan truck when they
put on the wrong filter and the oil drained out in about 2 blocks.  I'd say
go to the manager first and bring it to their attention that you have this
concern, and make sure the manager knows about it.

FWIW dealerships have monkeys with wrenches too....I tore up a hand pretty
good when I slipped trying to take off an oil filter that Mongo had applied
with something FAR stronger than the recommended "contact plus 3/4 turn".

Paul