Trailer Brake Wiring Connection

To: Bay Area Net <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailer Brake Wiring Connection
From: Kenneth Allan Mitchell <nokones@kenmitchell.com>
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 19:16:07 -0700
You just sent 12+ DC volts directly to your trailer braking system.
There is a reason why a brake controller is required. One thought comes
to my mind is that the controller regulates the voltage to the trailer
brake solenoids so that the right amount of voltage will actuate the
right amount of braking to prevent wheel lockups. Its an original
concept that has work for many years.

I think I would go down to your local Ford Dealer and order the proper
harness.

 >OK, here's the deal: I hooked up my trailer to a new vehicle yesterday.
 >Vehicle is built on a Ford E450 chassis and is pre wired at the hitch
 >receiver with a round seven pin plug for the lights, brakes etc.
 >Anyhow, I haven't installed my brake controller yet, because the only
  >wiring harness I have is for a Chebby, not a Ford, but I wanted to
test >out the trailer with the vehicle (drop on draw bar, basic wiring
etc.). >At the curb,lights, signals, brake lights all work fine. I drive
down >the street a little ways, first time I hit the brakes the trailer
 >brakes LOCK UP. As soon as I disconnect the wiring, of course the
 >brakes released. What's the deal? Will it fix itself when I install
the >brake controller or is there something wonky with the wiring?
--
Kenneth Allan Mitchell
mailto:nokones@kenmitchell.com