Re: Stock vs. R-type DOT tires

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Stock vs. R-type DOT tires
From: Smokerbros@aol.com
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 2005 14:21:27 EST
In a message dated 12/30/2005 10:17:06 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
bimmerdogs@comcast.net writes:

For the  Golden Gate Chapter BMW CCA classification system, I suggested
(based on  comments by an Ohio-based former tire engineer) using a
durometer to test  the hardness/softness of the rubber of new tires.
Supposedly a member  actually bought the durometer, but I haven't seen
it yet.  At least  that would give us numbers we could compare between
brands, but it does not  address that sidewall stiffness factor.

Durometer is not reliable.  Do you durometer a full tread tire or one  that
is shaved?  One with heat cycles or not.  At what  temperature?  A tire can
durometer fairly high (the higher the number,  the harder the rubber) at 60
degrees but change to a soft tire when  heated, and another tire will not
respond
the same.  Durometer has been  bandied about as a measurement device in SCCA
for 20 years but no one has shown  it to work.

Charlie