Round 5 confusion for 12/04/2005

To: "bay area team.net" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Round 5 confusion for 12/04/2005
From: "Stacey Wilbur" <svwilbur@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 2005 15:49:30 -0800
Alan Chin and Nicholas West  and Pat Kelly,

My wife told me after we left the event today that they had called my son's
name (Dan Wilbur ESP group 2) twice over the PA after
the second car went on the course for run groups 3 and 4.  She said that they
said if he "did not sign in to work he would lose his
scores" or something to that effect.

He worked with me (Stacey Wilbur) on station 1 just like we had sign up.  He
was the flag man.  I was on radio.

I guess the confusing was that he did not walk out to station 1 with me at the
same time so I did not have them check his name off
when I checked mine off as we usually do.  And I guess he forgot to check-in
with the chair 1 minute later when he came out..  But
he did do his work.

They announced it over the PA according to my wife but even working on station
1 you can not hear anything that goes through the PA
only what is on the radio and there was no mention of it on the radio.  He was
there before the event started and worked the whole
session for the joint 3 and 4 work group.  At station 1 it was just the 3 of us
Stacey, Dan and Mat who ran a white Jetta.  Mat may
have been from run group 1.

But anyway had we heard the PA, I would have had him go back to the trailer to
sign off his name.  I guess it is a lesson learned.

We are not so concerned about losing the points as much as we are about having
a reputation for not showing up for work.  He also
does not wish to me marked as "DNW" (Did Not Work) or be disqualified
indefinitely from entering any subsequent SFR Solo II events
for DNW status.

Hopefully you can forgive him for not checking in this one time.  He won't
forget again.  He did do his work assignment he just did
not check-in and we did not hear the PA announcement since he was already on
course outside the range of the PA.

BTW - We almost got run over 3 separate times from people going off course in
the box going into station 1 during run group 3 and 4.
Lots of confusion right there for several drivers.  Perhaps one more cone was
needed so that they would have known to turn right
toward the left hand turn before the slalom and not left into the workers?
Although one driver missed the box completely and drove
between two cones and turned right and headed right for us.  He stopped and
wondered why we red flagged him.  I told him he was
totally off the course having bypassed 4+ cones and almost hitting us.  It was
interesting and exciting to say the least.  Maybe
more chalk was needed or perhaps they did not walk the course or were not
looking ahead enough?  But it was kind of a safety issue.
It kept us on our toes.

I thought the course was lots of fun. I am going to have to run a better line
and learn to brake better a bit more traction would
not hurt either.  My son almost beat me today in his 300zx.  We are both in ESP
and on street tires.

Sorry everyone and thanks for a great event!

Stacey Wilbur
97 Z28 Camaro    ESP 97