Re: SFR attendance dropping faster than it would appear at

To: Katie Kelly <aceontour@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: SFR attendance dropping faster than it would appear at
From: "John J. Stimson-III" <john@harlie.idsfa.net>
Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 13:21:55 -0700
On Mon, Oct 10, 2005 at 12:35:28PM -0700, Katie Kelly wrote:
> I guess I'm not following where you're going with all
> this. Why define the bar at all, I mean. Why would
> anyone care if someone autocrosses once a year or once
> a week? Does it matter?

Because, in order to state a hypothesis about why overall attendance
is declining that's based on the attendace of "regular" autocrossers
compared to the attendance of "occasional" autocrossers, one must
first define those terms.

A hypothesis or theory is not a value judgement; it's only an
explanation to be evaluated based on how well it matches and predicts
objective fact.  You supply the values yourself.

--- Navid Kahangi <navid@xperformance.com> wrote:

> How many 2005 National champions actually run SFR events regularly?
> Just one!!!

Katie replied:
>This is because we have stopped our "National Champion
>Breeding Program".

I recognize that you're being tongue-in-cheek, but I don't think Navid
is commenting that SFR competitors don't become national champs, but
that the national champs that have come from SFR rarely run our events
any more.  Or does this "national champion breeding program" involve
releasing pheromones that will irresistably attract national champions
to our events so that they can breed?

--

john@idsfa.net                                              John Stimson
http://www.idsfa.net/~john/                              HMC Physics '94