FJC event

To: "autox" <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: FJC event
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2005 23:33:22 -0700
Katie,

Well, I'm feeling kinda old as I went to my first auto-x in, uhm, 1978 or so?
But I remember fantasizing about racing around the streets of an unfinished
home development in 1972 when I got my license.  Nice asphalt, and no
pedestrians to worry about - hey, GGF has only one of those qualities!

Katie said,
    <That Monte Carlo, that was driven by that guy's son.
    Charlie, help me out. Was it Jerry DeLara? His son
    drove that car, no?

    I just got a hair cut really short, like a buzz cut,
    because my cousin Nell had her's really short, and I
    always wanted to be like her. I thought I looked like
    Annie Lennox (there is a time reference here).....>

Well, Annie wasn't famous until 1983 when Eurythmics' album came out and that
amazing video for "Sweet Dreams...".  So you can limit your memory hunt to
that era.

The Monte Carlo name has been attached to a series of Chevrolets starting in,
oh, '70 or so, that are in the big picture unremarkable, but which are at
least more performance/handling oriented (esp. '74 and on) than the run of the
mill Chebby.  Faint praise, aside from Vega and some Vettes.  I can still
safely say that my '71 SS Nova was the best-handling GM product that I have
driven, and the only one that I have owned.  Once I tossed the traction bars
the last guy had installed, put back on the rear sway bar, and installed a
nice set of Michelin XVS radials.

I still don't understand why one of those hasn't been gutted to terrorize C/P.
Lighter than the Camaro or Vette of the year, and room for a 396 though the
balance was better with a small block.  Charlie, any comments?

Paul T.