Inspections

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Inspections
From: Mark Mervich <mwizard@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 15:55:30 -0800
Date: Mon, 21 Mar 2005 11:39:47 -0800
From: "Navid Kahangi" <navid@xperformance.com>
Subject: RE: SFR Technical Inspection Rules

I had the same issue at round 2.  I had talked a couple of people into
attending the event and one of them got dinged for the same exact
thing.  He
had a K&N cone filter on a flexible hose, but it wasn't bolted down.
The
filter was not moving more than a 1/2 inch on either side and was not in
danger of hitting anything.  We ended up taping up the filter to secure
it
down.

I had never heard of this rule, but seemed like less trouble to tape it
up
than to argue the point.  I really don't think that left a good
impression
on the first-timers though.

I tend to agree with Rich; If we are going to have more stringent
requirements for tech than what the National rules state, we need to
write
them down somewhere and make them available.

- --Navid

As I told the other person who had this problem, This is the way Dirk
trained me.
But more important, our organization is staffed by volunteers, not
professionals.  In order to keep the tech inspection team from not
having to interpret the rules we make things a bit arbitrary and
attempt to error on the side of being too safe.  99+% of the time, it
works well.
This incident w/ Navid's guest is an example where we were able to
maintain our high safety standards and work it out to have the car pass
inspection.

I consider myself(and my team) to be the representatives of the Solo 2
group which is delegated the responsibility for Tech Inspections.  As
such, I will listen to what ever the Steering Commettee wants.
Mark
Mark Mervich
650-367-6326