Re: street tires

To: "John Kelly" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>, <ba-autox@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: street tires
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2005 20:45:01 -0800
Hi John,
----- Original Message -----
From: "John Kelly" <76067.1750@compuserve.com>
> Message text written by "PAUL TIBBALS"
>
> "the needs & wants cannot be
> fully understood by the dozen or two that have the urge to be on the SC."
>

> -------------------- End Original Message --------------------
>
> It's those people with the "urge" that make it all happen. Hmm, works that
> way in other arenas too. <G>.
> So first, let's respect what the SC has done.
> The SC over the years has developed a pretty good operation. We are one of
> the few regions in SCCA that regularly attracts 200+ entries. If we
allowed
> non-members in as well we would be ovr run, beyond our region's
> slow-learning capabilities to run an event.

Not at all slurring the efforts of the SC.  Do they care what non-SC'rs, but
Members, think?

>         Just because you see a specific tire on a grid doesn't mean it's
> the only tire worth having. It may be the ONE, but we have a lot of copy
> cats. It's the easy way. They won't or are unable, to conduct tests to
> determine what works best. What you see is the "Hot set up." Nothing more.

Absolutely, if all you look at is who's on your local grid.  I read the
Pylon, I read the National results, I read the Yahoo Street Touring boards,
I analyze the Tire Rack's head to head testing of different models.  Based
on that, I actually put my $$ on the road with a non-Falken non-Kumho model
last year.  The advantage was negligible, durability was less, and the cost
was 150% of the latter, so I went back to what was on ALL of the cars of
those ahead of me locally.  Last year's winner just tried out a different
brand & model at Round 1.  Will he stay with it?  He was in the incredibly
tight cluster at the top of SFR STX despite his complaints that the new tire
was lame.  He wasn't up with the top guys in STS....  We'll see.  However,
show me someone winning a Street Touring class with another tire.  Once it
happens, others will start evaluating the newcomer.  I'm following Success
at the Regional and National levels, not simply followiing the Hot Set Up.

PaulT    (STX - Speed Tricks eXposed)    (cute class acronyms (c) James
Creasy, used without permission)