local autox sites

To: ba-autox@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: local autox sites
From: pault151@comcast.net
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 04:11:38 +0000
Scott said,
<<Subject: Test Site?
The local BMW CCA chapter (Golden Gate) is in need of a site to do
some autocross testing (for classification matters) and car control
clinic exercise layout experimentation.  We don't need anything big
enough to hold a whole autocross, something pint size will do fine.
If anyone knows of a suitable site, please let me know.  Cheap is
good.  Free is better.

Scott,
I looked around quite a bit for a site for an event my car club was hoping to
include in its national meeting.  I was however looking for a full-sized site.
To summarize what I found:
GGF outside of horse racing season isn't bad. But they don't return calls much.
Didn't inquire at Coliseum.
Alameda Point can possibly work, but pay the City, pay the Redevelopment
Authority, and before you've even got a speed-restricted permit or insurance
you're out $3000.
The Alameda County Sheriff has a not-huge site in Dublin that might work.  I
didn't get as far as pricing. http://www.sheriffacademy.com/acfr/acfr.html for
some leads on who to call.  I think PCA has used this site.  It's used for
other high-speed high-G training courses, police and otherwise.
Monster Park (roooooarrrr) gets like $2500 an event.
At least one insurance firm said that they could provide coverage, but that was
like $1500 minimum.  This can cover multiple days or events, but that didn't
help us.
Sacramento Raceway Park, which has a dragstrip, also has enough parking lot for
this to be feasible.  But they were too interested in holding us up for what
the market would bear, price-wise.
Infineon's paddock can be rented for such an event, but schedule conflicts
prevented us from pursuing this further.  Some little thing like an ALMS race.
:-) Get on their schedule ASAP if you want to use them.
NASA held some sort of semi-autocross out at Altamont last year IIRC.  Don't
have any more details than that.

Regards,
Paul T.