RE: OT-BAAQMD

To: "Johann Schubert" <jes@rx7.org>,
Subject: RE: OT-BAAQMD
From: "Carl Merritt" <cmerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 11:31:23 -0700
> * Who gave BAAQMD permission to access by DMV records?

They are public.  Any of us could access it.

> * Since they did access my DMV record, why didn't they look
> at the smog test
> history? My 1 owner car has legitimately passed with flying
> colors every time w/o any failures or retests.

Just because it passes the expected emissions of a '81 RX-7 does not mean it
isn't massively more polluting than a modern car.

> * Why isn't this offer available only to *failing* cars??
> Wouldn't that get rid
> of the real sources of pollution?  duh? Probably too obvious
> for a government agency!

It probably is offered to failing cars, but they are clearly going further than
just that since older cars, even one's that emit the same pollution levels as
when new and therefore "pass" the test, are also a large pollution source
compared to modern cars.

In no way am I arguing with your right to drive your car, my 300ZX is not even
remotely smog legal at the moment.  However for you to complain about them
offering you $500 to scrap your car as harassment, because it passes smog and
therefore does not pollute, is an incorrect conclusion.

-Carl