Re: Couple more questions related to National Tour event

To: "Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto}" <peter.thana@ROCHE.COM>
Subject: Re: Couple more questions related to National Tour event
From: Kevin Stevens <kevin_stevens@pursued-with.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Apr 2004 20:34:57 -0700
On Apr 26, 2004, at 20:09, Thana, Peter {HTS~Palo Alto} wrote:

> Well if you look at the message that started this all, Tam's original
> question stemmed from the Schedule page of the Atwater Tour on the SCCA
> site.  It does indeed say "Please bring your driver's license, SCCA
> membership, and rule book".  You can go see it yourself.  That may not
> be the rule, but that's what it says there and that's why he was
> confused.

Ok.  But the difference is, if there weren't any for sale he didn't
need to freak out to try and get one of his own by this weekend.

>   Now if you want to argue about the semantics of it- that it
> doesn't specifically say "your rulebook", then I would argue I don't
> need "my" SCCA membership card either, I can just use anybody's.

4.2.B.  Drivers in Divisional events must be...  SCCA members.  A card
is not the requirement, it is the means of meeting the requirement.  In
fact, the National office just recently was faxing some alternate means
of demonstrating membership because they were having card printing
problems.

> Look, I think the idea is for everyone to have a rulebook.  And maybe
> it's just as well if a group of friends share one, but the idea is for
> everyone to have one.

I agree.  But ideas aren't rules.  When you start saying the rule book
you show at registration is "supposed" to be yours, or Don reports an
arcane requirement that a name be written on it, a very definite line
of confusion has been crossed.  It's not an imaginary line, either.  If
you're trying to get ready to run Sat. morning after a late arrival,
and someone bounces you out of the registration line because the
rulebook isn't "yours", you'll see what I mean.

>   I just meant to say that it's a good idea to have
> one, but if you don't have one now don't freak out about it.  You can
> either buy one there or in the worst case borrow one for registration.
> No need to get all pissy with me Kevin :p

I won't get pissy if you don't get all judgemental, m'kay?  ;)  "Worst
case", there you go again.  But hey, if I didn't agree about having a
rulebook I wouldn't be in a position to be so nitpicky about it, right?
  ;)

KeS