classing

To: <TONY3811@aol.com>
Subject: classing
From: "PAUL TIBBALS" <pault151@comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jan 2004 21:58:16 -0800
Tony wrote, in part:
  I think I can be placed in 3 categories, DSP, STS, and maybe Street Tire?.
  I'm looking for competition because that makes it more fun then winning all
the
  time, but losing every time sucks too, so I want a class that will be fairly
  competitive but one where I will have a chance to win.

Well, Tony, welcome to autocross.  So losing every time sucks?  Get used to
losing, if that means "I didn't come in 1st today."  In any of those classes,
competition is tough.  If battling against a reasonably large field of
dedicated competitors sounds fun, though, you're in the right place.

Does competition mean large fields to run against?  Then you want Street Tire.
Averaged 14 entrants in the 2003 season.  Lot of variety there.  With your
mods though, you'd probably be in DSP-Street Tire, or STS-Street Tire.

STS is nearly as massive, averaging 13, and had the tightest racing at the top
if you measure by the spreads between the top several places, or by the
closest range of places in the Index (PAX).  It got ugly (in a good way) when
an improvement of one second could move you up three or four places, and
slowing down moved you just as quickly back into the pack.  Lots of pressure
there, and hence more incentive to improve!  And relentless?  Each of the four
trophy-holders won the class overall at least once, each made it to nearly
every event (one guy hasn't missed in four years).
Competition means racing against the best?  Again, depends on how you measure
it.  DSP was ruled last year by a driver who's won and placed at the Nationals
several times.  You don't get to that place without knowing your stuff.
Want a smaller field to run against?  Tough to find in SFRegion.  Especially
when you have a car already.  DSP averaged only 7, though almost all of the
top 9 point totallers scored as high as second at least once.  Otherwise I'd
say go to BSP, if you don't mind buying Corvettes or BMWs.  Only averaging 4
there.
  I guess the reason I'm asking is that all of you know what the competition
is
  and I want to try and start off the first event in the right class so that I
  don't lose points overall.

  Vehicle:

  91 Nissan Sentra SE-R (SR20DE 2.0L)
  Ground Control Coilovers
  Cold Air Intake
  (hoping to put on poly bushings next month)
  15 x 7 wheels
  205/50/15 Falken Azenis
  200 Treadware Rating

  What class to you think I would fit better in regionally and nationally
based
  on the competition?

Well, you've got some of the right equipment.  You listed the engine - I'm not
a Nissan specmaster, I hope that's the original engine or a replacement from
identical model.  If not, you're pretty much in, what, Prepared?  Somebody
else help me here, I don't have the engine rules beyond SP handy.  Otherwise
don't bother to list it, just show the changes from Stock.
You've got the Azenis (Sport, I presume - Falken is doing "name creep" and
moving the Azenis name around its product line) which means you're going to
give up maybe a second per minute, or more to anyone in DSP who's running
R-compound tires.  But they're good tires in STS and Street Tire, judging by
their popularity.  Poly bushings?  Maybe helpful.  No shocks listed, though;
stiff coilovers without upgraded shocks, well, depends on the course whether
that will really hurt you.  Where do you fit in Nationally?  Depends on how
well you do.  Is there a class where SE-R's have been cleaning up?

SFR historically is said to have outdone all other Regions at the Nationals,
so maybe the forge is hottest here.  I wish you the best.  Welcome to SFR -
where most of us "lose", most of the time, and we have to keep turning people
away at the gate anyway!   :-)              PaulT