Need Fremont/Newark Saturn shop...

To: ba-autox@autox.team.net
Subject: Need Fremont/Newark Saturn shop...
From: Jake Hodges <jake@codeworm.com>
Date: Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:48:59 -0800
Hey, all.. Sorry for the non autocross related question, but I've got a
non-car-enthusiast friend that's in dyer straits.  His Saturn SC2 automatic
did a strange thing to him on the freeway.. He said it lurched and slowed
down while he was driving along, so he pulled off of 880 at Stevenson.  Now
the car seems to be stuck in first or second gear (even when he puts the
shifter in R or N!).  He's afraid to drive it for fear he might damage it
further...

A similar thing happened to another friend when he was driving his
automatic Saturn cross country, and it turned out that the problem was his
alternator of all things..  I don't want him to get snowed into a new
transmission if it's not necessary.

Can anyone recommend a reputable shop in that area that can diagnose this
problem and fix my friends car?  He really can't afford to take it to the
dealer, and since he doesn't have AAA, he can't afford to have it towed far.

Thanks in advance!

Oh.. And can anyone in the South Bay read OBD II check engine light
codes?  Apparently the state has "asked" Auto Zone stores to stop offering
that service, much to my dismay.

Jake Hodges