Street tires v. R tires v. slicks was:School & Sunday

To: ysk_tsukamoto@yahoo.com
Subject: Street tires v. R tires v. slicks was:School & Sunday
From: "Richard Urschel" <osp13@mybluelight.com>
Date: 2 Jul 2003 02:12:36 -0000
On Tue, 1 Jul 2003 18:41:36 -0700 "TSUKAMOTO, Yosuke" <ysk_tsukamoto@yahoo.com>
wrote:
>The school was my first time to drive on racing tires.
>At first, I thought it would be more difficult to drive because of
>higher limit of those racing tires, but it turned out that
>racing tires are much easier to drive, even when the car starts sliding.

This is one of our never ending debates. I believe it is easier in general to
learn to drive at 10/10ths maintaining the edge of control on street tires due
to their longer delay between losing optimum grip and letting go completely.
However, with the great variability now available in all types of tires, it may
depend on your car, it's setup, the choice(s) of tire, and their condition.

As for being brave, be sure to try an event on concrete with high grip tires. A
mistake that can send you flying on slick asphalt can often be corrected easily
without the car going more than a foot off line on concrete.

Rich (all tires are fun)

Sign up for Internet Service under $10 dollars a month, at
http://isp.BlueLight.com