RE: First Time Autocrossing

To: "Darren Madams" <darren@madams.com>
Subject: RE: First Time Autocrossing
From: "Carl Merritt" <CMerritt@luminous.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 21:30:47 -0700
> o Everything pushes on street tires.

Well, that M3 is a pig, IMHO.  At Thunderhill it was a wonderful car, easily
faster around the track than any stock car I've ever driven, but for an AutoX
is was just flailing around trying to find grip while the suspension wobbled
around like jello.

> o Slow in, fast out really does work.

I had already explained to him the whole slow-in fast-out concept, but until he
really pooched it in his second run did it click, and I'm incredibly proud of
him for being able to mostly correct that tendency in a single run.  I've had
students who failed to grasp that concept event after event and still don't get
it...

> o Even when you think you're close to an apex cone, you
> ain't.  The fenders should overhang the cones.

I was way off them too, didn't want to muss up his shiny 12K mile old M3 :).

> o Never get behind in a slalom... and if you do, don't flap
> your arms like a chicken.

OMFG, my first run in that car was a MESS, especially on the slalom because the
M3 seems to have very over pumped power steering, lots of body roll, and a very
tall ratio steering system so you almost have to do hand over hand to get down
the *#&@# slalom.

> o You'd be surprised how many constant radius, double apex
> turns there are on most autocross courses.

Well, it's a pig of a car with a soft-ish suspension that really wants to find
a set G-loading and stick to it for as long as possible.  I'm sure many other
cars would be faster on lines less swoopy.

> o You can never say "Look ahead!" too many times to a novice,
> and even when he claims he is looking ahead, he isn't looking
> thaaaaat far ahead.

Hahahahah...that was so funny, kudos to Sony for a fine external stereo
microphone to pick that up cleanly.

> o Carl left time out there :)

Yeah, I know, lots of time.  It's a pretty alien car compared to my normal toys.
That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

> o Orange cones look blue on my laptop, and blue cones rock!

If anybody wants true torture, I can cut a DVD of the full hour of footage with
my soapboxing on racing theory in between runs =P.

-Carl